To view our Thousands of Images or download files, please create an account, It's easy and free.
Kino Snyder

My thoughts on Discord - Rant

Hello Everyone, 

My name is Valery. I think everyone here by now knows me. From both AniTech and DZ alike.  I dare say I am the oldest person on the entire community, being 31 years old. I've had the pleasure to work with @Alex Ayano and @Kaizen as well as @Mikoto Misaka. And I have to say, I've always enjoyed myself here. My Responsibilities since day 1 have been Administrative, Specifically Back-End Administration of the site. 

I've decided to make this random topic, to share my thoughts on a few things. I didn't sleep last night thinking about all this. Pretty much a rant I need to do and this is not targeted at anyone specifically. More so, my lack of satisfaction about certain things. 

AniTech had it's own share of flaws back in the day, but I have to say DZ doesn't really have any flaws like AniTech did. We have some of the best Staff members and VIP Members. But DZ does have an enemy. I dare call it an enemy, an enemy we rely on.... every. single. day.  That enemy is Discord.com 

I still remember 4 years ago, in AniTech, @Erika Wynter used to post reports at the end of the month in our Admin Area. and on the March or April 2015 report, she spoke of a new site that had just surfaced called DiscordApp.  A site, with better means of communication than Skype on which we relied back then. And interestingly enough, Discord was recently released and AniTech at the time, had more members than Discord. 

The Years pass and Discord becomes the Giant Corporation it is today. 

DiscordApp has caused Hundreds if not Thousands of Forum communities to either Close or fully build their community around Discord. and I personally think it is despicable how a mere chat application is destroying Forum Communities that for years..for YEARS were building themselves and still are trying today.  

Forum Communities survived MySpace...we survived Facebook, and even Twitter. But discord comes out of nowhere in 2015 and begins causing Small time to Big Time Forums to close down or build their community based on Discord.  DZ Included.  Because we rely on people from Discord to join the site.  Because no matter how much we invest in Alexa Rankings, into SEO, and Advertising, it's never good enough. 

Then Discord resorts to Personal Attacks. Disabling the first accounts of @Mikoto Misaka and @Kaizen because they banned users HERE on the site under OUR T.O.S. and people chose to report them to Discord and get them disabled on grounds that they violated Discord's TOS when events happened here....on a PRIVATE SITE.  

DiscordApp, has seen the potential DZ has. It's features, it's culture, and ability to have more than just a mere chat. And since Discord is for gaming...and we're a Hentai Niche, that just makes them want to mess with us indirectly more. 

their immaturity makes them seem so pathetic as well. Such as their ad's (if you've seen any stupid Ad from Discord you'll know they act stupid and annoying, and I don't know what they gain with that) 

Discord however is not the only one to blame here. We need to blame those that give power to Discord.... US. The Users. We use Discord to communicate with everyone, hang out in a server, and prefer to chat than to post and engage in meaningful discussions. 

the Fact that people use their phones everyday is another hit to Forums because most outside of InvisionPowerBoards are not suited for mobile. 

I had 2 projects in mind for this site:  A Video Streaming Service.  and to open up a feature called Clubs. Which allows people to create their own communities within DZ. 

We even had our own chat here on the site and had to deactivate it because no one would use it. Because people stick only to the Garbage that is DiscordApp. 

I know people are probably gonna say that I'm too old for this or that I'm old Fashioned. I would expect that in a Server full of Virgins and kids, but no, we are all over the age of 18 here as per our age requirement. So many people here 18-31 have enough maturity to understand what I'm trying to say here. 

I can mostly agree with your opinion here, Discord killing all forums around, including it messing around with the website of DZ aswell, i can definitely understand your point here and i'll be honest and straight up forward say that I even use Discord more frequently than the DZ website, which shouldn't be happening, but with time, the changes from now on will depend on US the website community on DZ, to make the change from Discord to the main website, but there is one of the problems which well... Most of the white members won't listen for sure so something will need to be done, and start to use the website more, i am definitely dumb with ideas but maybe we could get at least the more active folks we have on Discord to start using the website more often, that could be a start! But again, i don't understand anything about managing communities, websites and so on, but it was the first one that came to my head, maybe having a conversation with the active ones eventually to try and make them change, but that would require bringing the chat function back, those are just the things that came to my mind so yeah.. It's sad to see you mods and admins putting work into this and most of the white ones ignoring it.. I will say now that if a change needs to be done to change to the website, i will change asap with no problems

But anyways, i definitely agree with you on this one Kino

When I joined this site I joined Discord because it was shown in the sliders. Though I was never able to log in again and I didn't know how to use it. 

But how is a Free chat service affecting Major community sites like these? Why do people opt for garbage like that with all that there's here? I've gotten lost in this site a few times already.