Gun Control

Should the Possession of Firearms be Controlled?

• Yes, completely. No one should own a firearm.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes, but just make the purchase of firearms less accessible, with heavy background checks and person

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No, but heavy background checks should be run regardless.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, not at all. Anyone should be able to buy a gun.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Funny Valentine

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Legacy Staff
OG Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What is your stance on this hot-topic in the United States and in general?

I shall withhold my beliefs until later.

Discuss!

spacer.png

Jared

Un
Legacy Staff
OG Member
Reaction score
Don't live in US, but your rules should be a little safer:

- guns not in use should be in a safe, or at least put away where others cannot get to it.

- need a serious permit. You don't want crazy people swinging them around(not syre if this already exists)

Necruta

OG Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Seeing how I live in a country which already has quite a strict gun policy and it still goes wrong here every so often I think that it should be legal but with heavy background checks including medical records to see if the person might cause harm to the public safety if they owned a gun.

Zmandd

OG Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To prevent a seriously long rant that would take me forever to type up, I will simply state this:

ANY law that controls the use of guns is simply giving criminals more leverage over the law-abiding citizens. I mean c'mon they're called criminals for a reason. They can simply just avoid all the background checks and limitations but buying one from a third party source.

Neo

OG Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
We really need to crack down on guns in the US.  We need much stricter laws to prevent criminals and the mentally disturbed from obtaining a gun. All third party sources should be outlawed so that you can only buy from official sources, who will use strict background checks.

Maud'Dib

Anime Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sexual Orientation
Straight
To prevent a seriously long rant that would take me forever to type up, I will simply state this:ANY law that controls the use of guns is simply giving criminals more leverage over the law-abiding citizens. I mean c'mon they're called criminals for a reason. They can simply just avoid all the background checks and limitations but buying one from a third party source.
There are a few flaws with this statement1: BLack market firearms are only readily available due to how easy they are to attain now. Not controlling their purchasing initially is how criminals get them to begin with and why production scaled so inappropriately.2: Many accidental deaths and homicides are from otherwise law abiding citizens prior to the outlying incident.

3: Making some firearms instantly identifyable as a criminal possession makes identifying criminals far easier

I'm going to prevent a long message and make this brief. If everyone has a gun, no one with a gun will be "powerful" anymore, if a gunner shoots 1 person the next 5 next to them can pull one out, while that's unrealistic countries that do that have less crime, I have many examples to support my claims, but yeah, that's about it.
The only relevant counterexample is the western democracy with the most access to guns has 5-10 times the amount of firearms death per captia of every other one of its contemporaries. Having more guns has caused more people on average to die from guns and nothing else. Every country with gun control does not have these problems.

Ideally long guns (Rifles and shotguns) require competency tests, pistols require far more rigourous competency tests and registry, and automatic weapons are illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aphropunk

OG Member
Reaction score
Country
England
I'm going to prevent a long message and make this brief. If everyone has a gun, no one with a gun will be "powerful" anymore, if a gunner shoots 1 person the next 5 next to them can pull one out, while that's unrealistic countries that do that have less crime, I have many examples to support my claims, but yeah, that's about it.
False, countries such as Australia, Canada and the UK that do not have the law to carry firearms have less crime and far less deaths than countries such as the US which do.In my opinion if firearms should be legal in a country only the use of Pistols and hunting rifles/shotguns should be made legal. I see no reason why someone that does not belong to the armed forces would need anything else. This way if there is a shooting either the gunner would have to get the weapons from the black market or it would not do as much damage overall than if they had more heavy duty weapons such as Assault rifles

HeatNation

The New Foolist
OG Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
False, countries such as Australia, Canada and the UK that do not have the law to carry firearms have less crime and far less deaths than countries such as the US which do.
In my opinion if firearms should be legal in a country only the use of Pistols and hunting rifles/shotguns should be made legal. I see no reason why someone that does not belong to the armed forces would need anything else. This way if there is a shooting either the gunner would have to get the weapons from the black market or it would not do as much damage overall than if they had more heavy duty weapons such as Assault rifles
Last time I checked an AR15 can be used to hunt ggnore

Aphropunk

OG Member
Reaction score
Country
England
Last time I checked an AR15 can be used to hunt ggnore
Any gun can be used to hunt. There's no "ggnore" about it. Also an AR-15 is a Semi-Auto/Burst fire rifle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15, banned for restricted in most countries for that reason. Which anyone with a grain of sense knows it's not a Hunting rifle. Just look at this site http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/rifles/hunting-rifles-70.aspx and you can clearly see the difference. One is a modified assault rifle to meet US laws, where as hunting rifles are either Modified air rifles or weak semi-auto rifles

Aphropunk

OG Member
Reaction score
Country
England
I never said such a thing. I used them as an example for a heavy-er duty weapon

Jared

Un
Legacy Staff
OG Member
Reaction score
Any rifle that is automatic should be instantly restricted, just like rifles modified just to bypass laws. I think the only weapons one may carry would be: pistols, or Hunting rifles, as said by Aphropunk. I'm not saying that these can not cause a havoc, but with let's say a restricted mag size of 12 bullet's, the gun will have a lower impact. Access to anything else should be restricted(okay, maybe pump-action shotguns for self defense.)

Nova

Advanced Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sexual Orientation
Straight
License system and controlling it's purchase definitely works in some parts of the world.

Rita Lizumi

Staff Leader
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sexual Orientation
Straight
License system and controlling it's purchase definitely works in some parts of the world.
In Japan it's worked pretty good.

In USA that wouldn't work