A Review of BlazBlue Chronophantasma

Megurine Luka

Owner of SMA
OG Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
The BlazBlue Series of games was created and released by Arc System Works, who also created the Guilty Gear games and the currently wildly popular Dragon Ball FighterZ. They have so far shown a standard for high-quality fighting games with their releases.

The BlazBlue series, while having a rather confusing plot, is a competent fighting game in itself. The mechanics are fairly simple to pick up, and every character is relatively easy to learn. With that said, there are a few issues with balance. The strongest character in Chronophantasma is arguably a character introduced in the game - long-time antagonist Yuuki Terumi. With his ability to gain a large amount of Heat in a single combo, as well as his large variety of Distortion Drives to choose from and a simple Astral Heat input, he is a force to be reckoned with, if not the outright strongest character in the game. With that, the weakest character can be argued to be Platinum the Trinity, or another newly introduced character: Bullet. I nominate them for most useless in the game due to their hard-to-use mechanics and combos, even if they do a large amount of damage.

As for the story, it is split into multiple parts, and has several "gag endings", where by making a choice, you can either continue the story properly, or end up getting a funny joke ending. The story splits are of several stories that you can run through: The Six Heroes, Sector Seven, and the Main Story. Without getting into too much detail, the main story can be a little slow at times, since the story mode itself has a Visual Novel feel with story telling with some occasional gameplay.  However, to counteract this is the more fast-paced Arcade Mode, where you choose a character and run through a series of progressively more difficult fights that tells a story with that character. There are also a few "Extend" Gag Reels that you unlock upon completing the Main Story, if you have Chronophantasma Extend. It also comes with a recap of the previous 2 games: Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift, as well as 2 extra sotries: Teach Me, Miss Litchi! and Remix Hearts Gaiden.

For my personal thoughts on combat and gameplay: The characters I've played the most are Yuuki Terumi and Noel Vermillion, who both felt very fluid and fun to play. The combat itself flows well and can be enjoyable. Characters to pick to learn how to play would be Yuuki Terumi, Ragna the Bloodedge, Jin Kisaragi, or Noel Vermillion. The more "Advanced" characters would be Hakumen, Celica Mercury, Nu-13 (and by extent Lambda-11 and Mu-12), or Kokonoe Mercury.

Overall, I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

zmente

Former Staff
Retired Staff
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Now do one for BBCF or BBtag.

Last edited by a moderator: